Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Royal Icing

I find myself referencing this recipe for time to time so I thought I'd give it its own post. I use royal frosting when I decorate my Christmas gingerbread house and my Halloween gingerbread house. I also happen to use it on Christmas sugar cookies. Whenever I need a frosting that hardens, this is my go-to recipe. However, you're not supposed to eat it. It contains raw egg which can make you sick. I know there are other recipes out there for frosting that hardens. I've even made a few. But I grew up eating this frosting. So did my mom. It's quick and easy and delicious. The raw egg doesn't bother me or Eric. We also eat raw cookie dough, cake batter, and sushi. Anyway, just know that if you eat this frosting, you're risking salmonella poisoning.

So the only half way decent pictures I had are from 2009, long before I began blogging.
Ingredients:
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
food coloring (optional)

Directions:
Beat the egg whites and tartar on high until frothy. Gradually add the sugar until peaks form, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add food coloring if desired.

Keep the icing covered with a damp paper towel until you're ready to use the frosting. If left uncovered, it will harden in the bowl.

Eric helping to frost cookies. Look at how young he looks without the beard!

Enjoy!

~Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment