Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Red Onion Mayo and Sandwich Ideas

A month or so ago, I was looking for non-dessert apple recipes for our surplus of apples, and I came across Paula Deen's Grilled Apple, Bacon, and Cheddar Sandwich with Roasted Red Onion Mayo (which I highly recommend!). But Paula's red onion mayo recipe didn't work for me. She roasted the onion in the oven--mine kept burning. She also pulsated the onions and mayo together in a food processor--I didn't want to dirty my food processor and have another dish to clean. So I came up with my own version. I make sandwiches just because I'm craving the red onion mayo.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon butter
small pinch of sea salt
small pinch of granulated sugar
1 medium red onion
1 cup mayonnaise 

Directions:
Slice the onion lengthwise and make the strips as thick or thin as you’d like. Add the olive oil and butter to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. When the oil begins to shimmer or ripple, add the onions to the pan. Stir to coat the onions then spread them out evenly in the pan. Reduce heat low and sprinkle with salt and sugar to aid the caramelizing process. Stir every five minutes to avoid burning the onions. You will notice the onions browning and shrinking the longer they cook. Once your onion reach the color, texture, and flavor that you want, remove them from the heat. Mine take between 20 and 30 minutes. 

Remove the onions from the skillet and allow them to cool. Once the onions are cooled, coarsely chop them and mix them with the mayo in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for at least an hour so the onions have time to infusion the mayo.

Sandwich Ideas:
Spread the red onion mayo on your typical lunch meat sandwich or your hamburger/turkey burger/veggie burger. I also use it to make chicken salad. Mix 1 cup chicken with 1/4 cup red onion mayo, a dash or two of black pepper, finely diced apples, and two pieces of crumbled bacon. Spread on a roll and add a slice of cheddar cheese. This mayo is also amazing on grilled cheese sandwiches.

Enjoy!

~Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment