Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuna Burgers

It took me a long time to come around to tuna or any type of fish whether it was canned, frozen or fresh. As a kid and even an adult, I refused to touch any of it. Then I met Eric and his family and they reintroduced me to seafood. Now I absolutely love it. I especially like canned tuna because it's yummy, cheap, and easy. But I could only make so many tuna salad sandwiches. If you're tired of tuna salad too, try these tuna burgers. Cook some up, slap it on a hamburger bun, add condiments, and enjoy!



Ingredients:
2 5-ounce cans of tuna, drained
3/4 cup stuffing
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/3 cup mayo
1 egg
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 tablespoon minced banana peppers, optional
2-4 tablespoons water
dash of salt
dash of pepper

Directions:
Mix the tuna, stuffing, cheese, mayo, egg, onion, banana peppers, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add the water one tablespoon at a time until the mixture sticks together. Scoop approximately 1/3 cup of the mixture up and form into a patties. Makes about six patties.

Spray a skillet with cooking spray. Cook patties over medium-high heat, three to four minutes on each side or until the patty is fully cooked. Make a sandwich by adding bread, lettuce, tomato, dijon mustard, ketchup, or even tartar sauce.

Variations:
In my book tuna and banana peppers go together like peanut butter and jelly. I almost never make any tuna dish without banana peppers, but I realize banana peppers aren't for everyone. You can replace them with relish or omit them completely. If you like all things spicy, chop up a serrano pepper to toss into the mix or sprinkle in some Cajun seasoning. These burgers are also good with minced garlic or garlic powder.

No stuffing on hand? Use bread crumbs. No bread crumbs? Pop some sandwich bread in the toaster then tear it into small pieces (I do this frequently).

Enjoy!

~Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment