Sunday, December 18, 2011

Homemade Marshmallows

Big marshmallows, mini-marshmallows, marshmallow fluff, roasted marshmallows, marshmallows in hot chocolate, any which way, I love marshmallows. Eric likes to work his marshmallows with his hands and turn them into taffy before eating them (he is still such a little kid). So it was only a matter of time before I decided to make my very own marshmallows. And when I discovered that I already had all the ingredients in my pantry, I knew the time was now.

Twice I have broken hand mixers during my holiday baking. I almost did it again making these marshmallows. I strongly recommend using a standing mixer when making these.

Marshmallow Swirls

Ingredients:
3 packets of unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup water, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
red food coloring, optional

Special equipment: candy thermometer

Directions:
Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish and dust with confectioners' sugar. Set aside.

In a large bowl (or the bowl of a standing mixer), combine gelatin and 1/2 cold water and allow to soak.

In a saucepan, add sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water and cook over medium-high heat. When the sugar dissolves, increase heat to high and cook the syrup until the temperature reaches 240 degrees on the candy thermometer. Remove the pan from the heat.

Attach the whisk attachment to your mixer. Slowly pour the syrup into the gelatin while whisking on low speed. Increase speed to high and whip the mixture until it becomes very thick, approximately 15 minutes.  Add in the vanilla extract and mix well.

Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan and smooth the top. Since I was making these marshmallows for Christmas, I decided to give them a red swirl with food coloring. Drop a few drops of food coloring across the surface of marshmallows and swirl the food coloring using a toothpick. Dust with more confectioners' sugar. Leave out uncovered overnight so the marshmallows dry out.

Remove the marshmallow from the pan (I found it easiest to just lift the marshmallow from the pan versus turning the pan over) and cut them into squares. Dust them with confectioners' sugar one last time. Store in an airtight containers.


 Enjoy!

~Krissy

2011 Christmas Baking List:
Mint-Chocolate Truffles
Starlight Mint Cake
Sea Salt Caramels
Rocky Road Chocolate Log
Candied Citrus Peels
Easy Rum Balls
Homemade Marshmallows
Christmas Kiss Cookies
Tea Cookies

Other Holiday Cooking Ideas:
Snowflake Tortillas
Gingerbread House Decoration Ideas
Christmas Peep S'mores

No comments:

Post a Comment