Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cheesy Sausage Potato Casserole

Tonight was one of those nights when I don't know what to make for dinner so I start going through the fridge and pantry to see what we have. I know I need to use up the rest of the potatoes soon. There's smoked sausage in the freezer, a can of cream of chicken in the pantry . . . I can make a casserole! Add some cheddar cheese because cheese makes everything better. And some garlic. Sneak some onions in too. Might turn out awful; might be good. Luckily, it turned out pretty damn good and will be added to my list of dinner ideas in the future.

Ingredients:
1 pound smoked sausage
3 cups thinly sliced potatoes
1 (10.75-ounce) can cream of chicken
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, plus extra
1 tablespoon onion, minced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
pepper, to taste

Directions:
You can cook the sausage two different ways. I like my sausage broiled so I stuck in the oven on broil for 10 to 15 minutes to blacken it a bit. Or you could brown it on the stove top to add more flavor. You can also use spicy or even sweet sausage, whatever you have on hand. Next time I'll probably use spicy just because that's our favorite kind. Once cooked, cut the sausage into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 2-quart casserole pan and layer the potatoes in the bottom of it.

In a saucepan, heat the cream of chicken and milk. Add 3/4 cup shredded cheese and stir until the cheese is completely melted. Remove from heat. Stir in onions, garlic powder, pepper, and sausage (I will probably add thyme to the mix next time. I just didn't have any on hand tonight). Pour the mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle a handful of shredded cheese over the top. Bake for about one hour or until the potatoes become tender.
Enjoy!

~Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment