Monday, July 30, 2012

Smores Cookies!

If you don't have access to a fire pit (or a gas stove or wood-burning fireplace) these cookies are the next best thing to actual campfire smores. You should have seen Eric's face when I told him I was making smores cookies. But it was nothing compared to when I gave him one to taste. Before I was done baking, he sneaked into the kitchen to steal a few more. I already know these cookies won't last long.

This recipe comes from here with a few minor changes. It makes about two dozen cookies.


Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup mini marshmallows



Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray your cookie sheet with cooking spray.

Use a food processor to turn your graham crackers into fine crumbs. The site where I found this recipe said to use 7 graham cracker sheets to get 3/4 cup. I used 7 sheets and ended up with 1 cup of crumbs. So maybe 5 graham cracker sheets will work better?

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until it's light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the crumbs, flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until well combined. You can do this with an electric mixer, but I found it easier to do with my hands. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of dough and press two or three marshmallows into the center of the cookie* and place on the cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

*The original recipe called for Jets Puffed Mallow Bits and added them to the dough at the same time as the chocolate chips. I tried adding the mini marshmallow into the dough, but when I baked my first batch of cookies, the marshmallows on the sides and bottoms of the cookies melted out.


 So on the second batch I put the marshmallows in the center of the cookie. This fixed the problem.




Enjoy!

~Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment