Friday, October 19, 2012

Spiked Apple Cider Bon-bons


So yesterday I promised to show you what I did with the scooped out middles of my apple cider cupcakes. Years ago before cake pops became a trend, I found a recipe on Betty Crocker for bon-bons. Made from cake and frosting, they're basically cake pops without the stick. I made a ton of them that year and gave them as Christmas gifts. They were a huge hit. Well, I had cupcake centers and a little bit of leftover spiced rum frosting. Why not make a spiked apple cider cake balls? They are the perfect grown-up Halloween candy.

Since I was dealing with leftovers, I don't have any real measurements for you. (Maybe 1 cup of crumbled cake and a 1/8 cup frosting? I came out with 7 cake balls total) But I will give you the measurements if you were making bon-bons (or cake pops) from an entire cake



Ingredients:
1 apple cider cake
2 cups spiced rum buttercream frosting
4-5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Prepare the apple cider cake and the spiced rum buttercream frosting according to the directions in the links. While the cake is still warm but cool enough to handle, crumble it into a bowl. Mix in the frosting. Freeze the mixture for approximately 1 hour. Shape 1 tablespoon of the mixture into a ball. Place on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet or plate. Repeat with the rest of the mixture. Freeze the balls for at least 30 minutes.

In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave. So not to burn the chocolate, microwave the chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Working in batches, remove the balls from the freeze, coat in chocolate, set on wax paper-lined cookie sheet, and place back in freeze. Melt more chocolate as needed. Freeze the the chocolate-coated balls for 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

Enjoy!

~Krissy

For more autumn recipes, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment