Thursday, May 3, 2012

Buttermilk Substitute

Buttermilk is great for baking pancakes, donuts, breads, cakes, rolls, and so on. It adds complexity to the taste, produces light and fluffy results, and helps to keep baked goods like yellow cakes or sugar cookies from browning too quickly. But I don't ever buy it because I'll never use it all up before it expires, even with its long shelf life. So with a little Internet sleuthing I found an incredibly easy buttermilk substitute from About.com. A new world of recipes has just opened up!

Milk
Plus
Lemon Juice

Equals
Buttermilk

Ingredients:
1 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions:
Pour the tablespoon of lemon juice into a measuring cup. Pour the milk in the measuring cup until the liquid hits the 1 cup mark. Let stand for 5 minutes undisturbed. Use in your recipe.

So simple and easy and I already had all I need in the house.

Enjoy!

~Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment