Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sweet and Salty Chickpeas

Chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) are good for more than just making hummus.

While I was able to get Eric to eat zucchini bites (and like them), he stuck his nose up at these sweet and salty chickpeas--despite loving hummus. I, however, may have found a new favorite snack and cannot wait to begin experimenting with more flavors for these little peas/beans.

I found this recipes on The Cupcake Project.

Ingredients:
1 14-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Spread the chickpeas out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Combine oil and seasoning in a bowl. Toss the chickpeas with the seasoning and serve hot. Store in an air-tight container.

I can't wait to try making these with cumin or cayenne pepper or garlic powder.

Enjoy!

~Krissy

Update!
After making these multiple times and playing with different flavors, I have gotten rid of the olive oil since the seasoning sticks to the hot chickpeas pretty well without. My favorite flavor combination has become garlic powder, onion powder, and a little bit of salt. While I still can't get Eric to eat these, both my parents and his parents love them. They're kind of like snacking on a nutty popcorn. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment