Friday, November 8, 2013

Peanut Butter Baked Apples


I've been really inspired by apples this season. I have been meaning to make baked apples for a while now. Well, there were only two Fuji apples left in the fridge so I knew it was now or never (maybe that's a little dramatic. Now or wait until I make it to the store again). I have looked through a dozen different baked apple recipes and they're all pretty much the same: oatmeal, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Some add raisins. Some add pecans or walnuts. I wanted something a little different. Then I found one with peanut butter. Apples and peanut butter, there nothing else like it.

Recipe adapted from here.



Ingredients:
2 large apples
1/2 cup instant oatmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons, plus 1 teaspoon creamy peanut butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Slice the tops off the apples and scoop out the core, seeds, and flesh. I used a regular spoon, but a melon baller probably would have been easier. Discard the insides.

In a small bowl, mix together the oatmeal, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add peanut butter and mix until it forms a crumble. It's easiest to use your hands.

Stuff the apples with the mixture and place them in a glass baking dish.* Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the apples are tender. Remove the foil for the last five minutes to allow the tops to crisp.







*My apples were small so I cut the recipe in half and used ramkins to bake them because, honestly, I didn't want to dirty my 8x8-inch glass pan for two little apples.

Enjoy!

~Krissy

More Apple Recipes
Baked Apple Chips
Savory Baked Apples Stuffed with Sausage
Delicious Apple Pie
Apple Cider Cupcakes with Caramel Filling and Spiced Rum Frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment