Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Glazed Blueberry Donuts

Whenever I make Pillsbury biscuits or crescent rolls, I always save some of the raw dough to make into donuts. I love cooking from scratch, but I also love doing the semi-homemade thing: doctoring up cake mixes or turning biscuits into donuts. Last time at the grocery store I saw blueberry biscuits on sale for a buck and decided to try them. I love blueberry pancakes, muffins, and donuts. Now I could make my own! As biscuits, I wasn't overly impressed with them. Glad I tried them, but wouldn't buy them again. However, as glazed donuts, these things are amazing.


Ingredients:
Donuts
Pillsbury biscuits
vegetable oil

Glaze
1/8 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
Donuts
Now you can make these one of two ways. If you want regular donuts, use an empty pop bottle to make a hole in the middle of each biscuit (then pop the dough out of the bottle and make donut holes!) Or if you are lazy like I was when I made this, flatten them to desired width so they're like elephant ears (I came out with a cross between a donut and elephant ear).

Pour your vegetable oil in a large sauce pan, enough so that the donuts can be submerged. Heat the oil over med-hi heat to between 360 and 375 degrees. (I don't use a candy thermometer; I just wing it.) With tongs put your biscuit into the oil and cook until the perfect golden brown on each side. Place on a plate lined with paper towel.

Glaze
In a small sauce pan, heat the milk and vanilla over low heat until warm. Sift in powdered sugar into the pan. Slowly whisk the sugar in until well combined. Remove from heat. Dunk donuts into the glaze, one at a time, and set on a rack. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving. (Recipe from here.)



Every time I make donuts, Eric want me to make a glaze. I've resisted all this time because secretly I like cinnamon-sugar donuts the best so that what I usually make. But I decided to give it a whirl this time because I didn't think cinnamon-sugar or a frosting would compliment the blueberry donuts. I'm glad I glazed them and Eric was absolutely thrilled.

Enjoy!

~Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment