Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Sugared Cranberries

Merry Christmas!


So back in November I told you that I was obsessed with cranberries. Well, the craze continues with these sugared cranberries. So sparkly and pretty, they are the perfect garnish for cakes, pies, cupcakes, or in my case mini cheesecakes. They're also not bad to snack on. I made yet another batch of chocolate covered cherries which I'm hoping make to Christmas--since I'm hosting my first one (yikes!)--without me eating them all. I also recently came across a recipe for drunken cranberries--cranberries soaked in alcohol. I cannot wait to try them out too! I don't have time to prepare them for Christmas but maybe for New Years Eve? I told you, I'm cranberry obsessed!

Recipe adapted from here.


Ingredients:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
2 cups fresh cranberries, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar (for rolling)

Directions:
Place sugar and water into a sauce pan and heat over medium high heat, stirring. Bring to a boil. As soon as the sugar is completely dissolved, remove from heat. Pour in the cranberries. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, make sure the cranberries are well coated in the simple syrup.

With a slotted spoon, place the cranberries on a wire rack or onto waxed paper and allow to dry for 45 minutes to an hour. Make sure the cranberries are separated to avoid clumps of the syrup on the berries.

Pour the remaining sugar in a shallow dish and roll cranberries in the sugar, coating completely. Place sugared cranberries on a clean wire rack or piece of waxed paper. Allow to dry for an hour. Store in an airtight container.




Enjoy!

~Krissy

Christmas 2013 Baking List
Dark Chocolate Cover Cranberries
Michigan Cranberry Brownies
Honey Cake
Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Men Cookies 
Christmas Kiss Cookies 
Gingerbread House 2013
Three Chocolate Truffles: Mint, Rum, and Orange
Cherry Snowball Cookies 
The Best Sugar Cookies 
Stained Glass Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment