Monday, April 21, 2014

Cannoli Dip

Eric's parents often have grocery store cannoli (while delicious, far from the real deal) at their house and Eric never fails to snag one when we visit. Every time he wonders out loud, "I wonder how hard it would be to make these," which is code for "Krissy, will you make these for me?" 

Of course, I did--well, partially. I made the filling to serve as a dip and cinnamon-sugar pastries (Eric's all time favorite baked good) to go with it. I didn't expect the cannoli filling to be so easy to make or so addictive. Next time I will have to attempted to make the cannoli shells too.

Recipe adapted from here.


Ingredients:
16 ounces of ricotta cheese
4 tablespoons of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk, optional
1/3 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
First, you need to strain the liquid out of the ricotta. Usually you do this by wrapping the ricotta in cheese cloth and gently squeezing out the excess liquid. I don't have cheese cloth so I set a couple sheets of paper towel in the bottom of a mesh colander, spread the cheese on top and with my hand pressed down on it. Then I let it sit and drain for 15 or 20 minutes.

Once the ricotta is strained, place it, the sugar, and the extract into a food processor and process for 3 to 4 minutes or until the mixture is smooth. I added a tablespoon of milk to thin the filling just a little. You don't have to do this--or you could add more if you so desired.

Pour the filling into your desired container, sprinkle with the chocolate chips, and serve with pastries, graham crackers, or anything you so desire.




Enjoy!

~Krissy

More Dessert Ideas:
Smores Pie
Caramelitas
Creamsicle Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Swirl Cake (Made with Swiss Cake Rolls)
Yummy Butterscotch Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment