Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pumpkin Gnocchi in a Parmesan Sauce

I know pumpkin is a little out of season right now, but Eric wanted pumpkin dip for his birthday and I didn't want to throw away the leftover pumpkin puree. So I googled "ideas for leftover pumpkin puree." There are a lot of lists out there. I knew I didn't want to do a dessert or a breakfast meal. I actually love pumpkin in savory dishes and the pumpkin gnocchi caught my eye. I immediately knew I wanted to use my Parmesan sauce for it because I love the way pumpkin and Parmesan go together. When I took my first bite, I was immediately transported to fall with its crisp air, colored leaves, and fat pumpkins. It's March and I'm already planning an autumn dinner party starring these pumpkin gnocchi.

Recipe adapted from here.


Ingredients:
Pumpkin Gnocchi
1/2 pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk
12 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Parmesan Sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth (I used low sodium)
1/2 cup milk (I used whole milk)
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated

Directions:
Pumpkin Gnocchi
In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin puree and the egg yolk. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in 9 tablespoons of the flour and combine with the pumpkin puree. Add the remaining flour a little at a time until the mixture forms into dough.

Transfer the dough to a floured work surface, knead a couple of times, but make sure not to overwork the dough (this will make the gnocchi tough). Divide the dough into four sections; roll each section into a ball.

Roll each ball into a rope with a diameter of approximately 1 inch. With a butter knife, cut the rope into 2-inch sections. Light press a fork into each pieces to creates ridges (this helps the sauce adhere to the gnocchi).

Over medium-high heat, boil a large pot of water with 1 tablespoon of salt. In batches, add the gnocchi to the boiling water. Cook them until they float to the surface, about 4 to 6 minutes. Remove with a slated spoon. 

Parmesan Sauce
Melt butter in the bottom of a saucepan and saute the garlic until it turns a golden brown. Add flour and cook for about 1 minute while continually stirring. Pour in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, continually stirring so the sauce thickens. Reduce heat. Add Parmesan and stir until cheese is melted.

Serve sauce over the pumpkin gnocchi.




Pumpkin gnocchi and parmesan sauce with roasted peas.
Eric doesn't usually do the savory pumpkin dishes, but he actually liked this one--except the pairing of it with the cheese sauce. I think he would have preferred a brown butter sauce (I loved it with the cheese sauce).

Enjoy!

~Krissy

More Pumpkin Recipes:
Cheese Tortellini in a Pumpkin Sauce
Pumpkin-Black Bean Stew with Spicy Sausage
Pumpkin Lasagna Rolls
Pumpkin Butter
Pumpkin Caramels!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Brownies
Pumpkin Fudge

No comments:

Post a Comment