Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Bacon Barbecue Green Bean Casserole

I was actually a little nervous about this recipe. Green beans and barbecue sauce? Even Eric looked at me a little side ways when I told him what I was planning. But the dish kind of wowed me. And it must have wowed the husband a bit too because he didn't even complain about the onions. He actually piled the casserole on top of his chicken breast and ate it that way which makes me wonder if I could throw some shredded chicken into the casserole and take it from a side dish to a main dish. Just might have to try it next time.

Recipe adapted from here.


Ingredients:
6 strips of bacon
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
3/4 cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray)
2 14.5 ounce cans of French cut green beans, drained and rinsed

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook bacon in a large skillet. Remove from pan and crumble. Set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon of dripping and discard the rest. Saute the onions in remaining bacon grease until tender. Stir in barbecue sauce, bring to a boil, and remove from heat.

Place green beans into 1.5 quart baking dish (I divide the beans among 6 small ramkins). Pour the barbecue mixture on top. Cover and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top and serve.



Arya only has eyes for the bacon cooking on the stovetop.
Enjoy!

~Krissy

More Casserole Recipes:
Alfredo Green Bean Casserole
Black Bean and Sausage Stovetop Casserole
Cheesy Sausage and Potato Casserole
Cheesy Tomato Zucchini Bake 
Parmesan Chicken Casserole 

No comments:

Post a Comment