Thursday, May 15, 2014

Homemade Pepper Jack Cheez-its

So these crackers didn't even last a day--but in my defense, I only made half a batch. Cheez-its have always been my favorite snack crackers so I can't believe it's taken me this long to make my own. However, I didn't have enough cheddar to make traditional Cheez-its, so I made pepper jack instead. So good. Eric is lucky I set aside some for him and didn't devour them all myself. (Eric's share of the bounty quickly disappeared too, I might add).

Recipe adapted from here.


Ingredients:
2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons water

Directions:
In a large bowl, beat cheese, butter, and salt. Gradually add flour and mix on low until your dough resembles coarse crumbs. Adding the water as needed, mix the dough together using your hands until it forms a ball. Shape the dough into a flat round, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

Divide dough into half. Roll each half into a very thin rectangle (1/8 inch or less in thickness). Using a butter knife (or a pizza cutter or if you're fancy, a fluted pastry cutter), cut the dough into 1-inch squares. If desired, use a toothpick to make a hole in the center of each cracker. Transfer squares to baking sheet.

Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the crackers are puffed and browned on the edges. Place on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.







Enjoy!

~Krissy

More Snack Recipes:
Yogurt-Covered Blueberries
Zucchini Chips 2.0
Potato Chips in the Microwave
Jalapeno Popper Wontons
Homemade Pita Chips 
Homemade Pizza Rolls 

No comments:

Post a Comment