Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Smores Sandwich Cookies

Eric loves sandwich cookies--Golden Oreos to be exact. We have to buy some every time we hit the grocery store so he can have them in his lunch. As I was making my Smores Cookie Cups, I realized that I could easily transform the same recipe into sandwich cookies for Eric!

Like the Smores Cookie Cup, this recipe calls for refrigerated sugar cookie dough. While I love refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough, I don't really like refrigerated sugar cookie dough; it just doesn't taste right to me. I used my sugar cookie recipe (see below). But if you like the store-bought stuff, I say use it! It makes these cookies so much easier!


Ingredients:
1 package Ready to Bake Pillsbury Sugar Cookies (or this sugar cookie recipe, halved)
8 tablespoons chocolate spread (I used Hershey, but Jiffy makes one too)
8 tablespoons marshmallow fluff
3 graham crackers, crumbled

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees if using refrigerated cookie dough. (If using my sugar cookie recipe, preheat to 375 degrees). Grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

Place crumbled graham crackers in a bowl. You can crumble them as fine or as coarse as you like.

Separate the refrigerated cookie dough (if using the scratch recipe, roll out dough to about 1/4 to 1/8-inch thickness and use a shot glass to cut out little circles) and pressed each piece into the crumbs. Place cookies on cookie sheet.

Bake for approximately 15 minutes at 350 or 7-8 minutes at 375 (for scratch).

Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Once cooled, spread about 1 teaspoon of marshmallow fluff on 12 of the cookie bottoms. Spread 1 teaspoon of chocolate spread on the bottoms of the other 12 cookies. Place the cookies with the marshmallow fluff back on the cookie sheet, marshmallow side up. (You DO NOT want the chocolate spread to go into the oven--it doesn't melt, it burns. I learned this the hard way with my first batch. Make sure to put the chocolate spread and marshmallow fluff on separate cookies!)

Set oven to broil and pop the cookies back into the oven to toast the marshmallow. This only takes about 30 seconds so don't walk away or even look away from your cookies or else you risk burning them. When the marshmallow reaches the desired shade of golden brown, remove from oven.

Immediately assemble your cookies, matching up a chocolate spread cookie with a marshmallow cookie. 

Serve or store in an airtight container at room temperature.





Enjoy!

~Krissy

More Smores Recipes:
Smores Wontons 
Smores Cookies!
Smores Pie
Peep Smores 
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Smores

No comments:

Post a Comment