Sunday, September 16, 2012

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mixes

Oh, Hot Chocolate
How do I love thee? 
Let me count the ways . . .
I don't drink coffee or tea, and let's face it, I'm a chocoholic. And I'm cold all the time. I'm the only person I know that wears a sweater in eighty degree weather (and I carry a sweater with me when its ninety). So hot chocolate not only satisfies my chocolate cravings but warms me from the inside out. I usually buy Swiss Miss in bulk. When I want to treat myself, I spurge on Land O Lakes hot chocolate mix. With fall nearly upon us and the weather once again cooling, I figured it was time that I make my own hot chocolate mix. I found this great recipe and just tweaked it a little to make a delicious hot chocolate and a deep, rich dark chocolate hot cocoa recipe. 

Since I love my hot cocoa so much, I wanted to make sure to use quality ingredients, starting with the cocoa powder. You can use natural or Dutch-process cocoa powder. Natural cocoa powder comes from cocoa beans that have been roasted then pulverized into a fine powder. The cocoa beans of Dutch-process cocoa powder have been treated with a solution that neutralizes their acidity. This treatment makes the powder darker and gives the cocoa powder a smoother, less bitter taste. I prefer a blend of natural and Dutch process (I use SACO), but I also like natural cocoa powder too. However, keep in mind that if you're baking with cocoa powder, natural and Dutch-process cannot always be substitute for each other. Click here for more information on baking with cocoa powder.

I also recommend using quality chocolate.

Regular Hot Chocolate Mix
Makes approximately 20 servings

Ingredients:
3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together. Pour about half of the mix into a good processor and pulse until the chocolate chips become finely ground. Pour into an airtight container. Repeat with the other half of the mix.

To make a cup of hot chocolate: heat up 1 cup milk, pour in 1/3 cup hot cocoa mix, and stir.

Top with whipped cream and marshmallows if desired. (See Homemade Marshmallows)


Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa Mix
Makes approximately 20 servings

Ingredients:
3 cups nonfat dry milk powder
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of cayenne pepper

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together. Pour about half of the mix into a good processor and pulse until the chocolate chips become finely ground. Pour into an airtight container. Repeat with the other half of the mix.

To make a cup of hot chocolate: heat up 1 cup milk, pour in 1/3 cup hot cocoa mix, and stir.

Top with whipped cream and marshmallows if desired.

*The cayenne pepper doesn't make the hot cocoa spicy but emphasizes the chocolate flavor.


I plan on doing a lot of experimenting with this hot chocolate mix. When I use a store-bought I was always adding different spices. Cayenne pepper, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice . . . or a shot of Baileys, Kahlua, or this amazing chocolate-raspberry rum I bought in the Virgin Islands years ago. (I might just have to return to buy some more!) Eric's not a big hot chocolate person, but I might have to crush some peppermint candies up in the mix for Christmas and have him try it. And I might just add some ground hazelnuts to the mix at some point too. Maybe I'll switch out the chocolate chips for peanut butter chips or cinnamon chips. The possibilities are endless.

Enjoy!

~Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment