Monday, September 17, 2012

Chocolate-Hazelnut Mug Cake

A large part of the reason I tested out so few recipes last month was because I was working away on my next novel (if you're curious, you can see my work here). In fact, I've already finished a rough draft. However, all that non-stop typing has aggravated my carpel tunnel something fierce. In order to give my poor hands and wrists a break and get away from the computer, I decided to spend a day in the kitchen. Not that baking is necessarily great for the hands and wrists either, but it's better than typing and surfing the net. For whatever reason, I decided I wanted to make mug cakes. So for the next week, I'm going to share a mug cake recipe with you each day.

S.L.U.T.S: Southern Ladies Under Tremendous Stress.
What is a mug cake? It is a single serving-size cake made in a coffee mug and baked inside your microwave. Yes, you can really bake a cake inside your microwave in three minutes or less. (You can also make a chocolate chip cookie, potato chips, and zucchini chips in your microwave). They are perfect for kids, college students (I would have killed to know about these tasty desserts when I was in college), and a late night sweet tooth.

I will begin the week with a chocolate-hazelnut cake from here. Normally, I like to use my own homemade chocolate-hazelnut spread, but I had smeared the last of it on my morning banana. Thankfully, while out running errands with Eric, we discovered that Jif now makes a chocolate-hazelnut spread. It's delicious and cheaper than Nutella. (I still like mine the best though).


Ingredients:
1 egg
4 tablespoons self-rising flour
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons chocolate-hazelnut spread.
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions: 
Mix all the ingredients together in a large coffee mug. It is very important that you use a large coffee mug. I didn't and this was the result:

At least it still tastes delicious.

With a fork, whisk the ingredients until they are well combined and the batter is smooth. With the microwave set on high, cook for 1.5 to 3 minutes. Keep in mind that all microwaves cook differently. Mine cooked in 2 minutes.

Allow the cake to cool. Eat in the mug or pour the cake out on a plate. While I think the cake is plenty sweet enough on its own, you could add frosting, cool whip, or even ice cream to the cake.

Enjoy!

~Krissy

Mug Cake Sample Platter
Also Check Out:
Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Mug
Fluffernutter Mug Cake
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake
Gluten-Free Mug Cake
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Mug Cake
Pumpkin Mug Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment