Sunday, October 23, 2011

Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Chicken

I'll be up front with you, you're going to see a lot of chicken recipes on this blog. Why? Because I don't eat red meat. It's not a political statement or even a health choice; I just don't like the taste or texture. And yes, that includes steak too. (However, according to Eric, I make a mean ground beef chili.) I also rarely eat pork. That means there is a lot of poultry served in our house, which can get boring. So I'm always finding new things to do with it.

I think the original version of this recipe came from Kraft Recipes, but I've changed it up a bit to suit my tastes. 
This recipe only makes two servings.
Stuffed chicken with a mountain of mashed potatoes
Ingredients:
2 small boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 tablespoons frozen spinach, thawed, drained and coarsely chopped
2 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
3-4 basil leaves, torn
1 garlic clove, minced
1 egg white
3/4 cup breadcrumbs (I usually make my own by crushing saltine crackers)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 of a 14.9 oz can of tomatoes seasoned with basil, oregano and garlic
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, divided

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8x8-inch pain with cooking spray.

With a mallet, thin the chicken breasts to a 1/4-inch thickness. Mix the spinach, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, basil, pepper,1/4 cup mozzarella, and garlic together in a bowl. Spread half the mixture on each chicken breast and roll the breasts up tight.

Place the egg whites and breadcrumbs each in a different shallow bowl. Dip the chicken rolls in the egg then in the breadcrumbs, coating it. Set the chicken breasts seam side down in the baking dish. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Pour the tomatoes over the chicken. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella. Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.

Enjoy!

~Krissy

No comments:

Post a Comment