Monday, January 20, 2014

Apple Cider Cookies with Spiced Rum Glaze

Cake mix cookies. If you've never made them before you're missing out. Incredibly easy. Incredibly versatile. Incredibly soft and tasty. Basically, incredible. I think I'd rather use a boxed cake mix to make cookies than a cake.

Anyways, I was making my husband a bagged lunch for work the other day when I realized that all the leftover Christmas treats had finally run out, and I had nothing sweet to put in his lunch. So I decided to make cookies for him using what I had in the pantry, which just happened to include a spice cake mix and instant packets of apple cider--the two main ingredients in these cookies. The spiced rum glaze was an after thought (and perhaps my favorite part!).


Ingredients:
Cookies
1 boxed spice cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 packet apple cider instant drink mix (I used Apline Spiced Apple Cider)

Spiced Rum Glaze*
1/8 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoon spiced rum

Directions:
Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all the cookie ingredients together (by hand or using a mixer). Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the cookie bottoms turn a golden brown. Place the cookies on a wire and allow them to cool completely.

Side note: I wish I had had 1 cup of walnuts or white chocolate chips to throw into the dough. I think either one would have really complimented these cookies. 

Glaze
In a small sauce pan, heat the milk, spiced rum and vanilla over low heat until warm. Sift in powdered sugar into the pan. Slowly whisk the sugar in until well combined. Remove from heat.

Dunk the top of the cookies in the glaze and place them back on the wire rack to dry. (I tried drizzling the glaze on the cookies and it didn't work.)

*The glaze recipe is going to make more glaze then you'll need for the cookies. I actually added the spiced rum to leftover glaze had from cinnamon rolls I had made for breakfast a few days before. If you want, you can make the glaze without the spiced rum so you can use it on something else. Here's how much you'll need for the cookies: 1/4 cup prepared glaze and 1/2 tablespoon spiced rum. Just stir the two ingredients together in a saucepan over low heat.



These cookies only made it into Eric's lunch twice. He couldn't stop eating them and went through the batch in three days I think. Of course, I might have eaten one or two.

Enjoy!

~Krissy

More Cake Mix Cookies:
Grasshopper Cookies
Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
Creamsicle Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yummy Butterscotch Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment