Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Homemade Tortilla Chips

Tortilla chips are quickly becoming a staple in our house. We eat a lot of Mexican-inspired dishes that seem to call out for a side of tortilla chips. And if Eric's sweet tooth isn't acting up, he usually reaches for chips and salsa to snack on. I love chips and salsa too, but store bought tortilla chips are just too salty for me. I eat maybe a handful out of a family-size bag.

Last week I was making tomato and chile shredded chicken with a cheese sauce that begged for tortilla chips. Sadly, we had run out chips, but there were flour tortillas in the fridge. I have made my own chips from tortillas before, but not for a while. I had forgotten how good they are, and since I get to control the seasonings, they are no where near too salty. Considering that Eric mentioned that we should pick up extra tortillas at the grocery store instead of another bag of tortilla chips, I think he likes them too.


Ingredients:
Tortillas (flour, corn, or wheat, I used 8-inch but you can use whatever size you have on hand)
Olive oil
seasonings (salt, onion powder, chili powder . . . whatever you like, we tend to prefer a cayenne pepper and garlic powder)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

In a bowl, stir together olive oil and seasonings. Set aside.

Cut your tortillas into 8 slices like you would a pizza. Brush both sides of the tortilla chips with the olive oil mixture. Arrange in a single layer on the greased cookie sheet.

Bake for 6 to 10 minutes, flipping the chips after 3 to 5 minutes.



Enjoy!

~Krissy

More Chip Recipes:
Baked Apple Chips
Banana Chips
Homemade Pita Chips
Kale Chips 
Pepperoni Chips
Potato Chips in the Microwave
Snowflake Tortilla Chips
Yellow Squash Chips 
Zucchini Chips 2.0

No comments:

Post a Comment